- CSR Statement
- Letter From Chairman
- Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
- Best Workplace
- Corporate Governance
- Customer Service and Supplier Management
- Environmental, Safety & Health Policy
- Risk Management Policy
- RoHS Compliance
- Statement of Conflict Minerals Free
- CSR Report
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Information
- Investor Conference
- Shareholder Information
- Legislation: European Union has established a phase-out date of July 1, 2006 for Pb in electronic products with some exceptions.
- RoHS (Restriction on Hazardous Substances) and WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment ) directives prohibit the usage of Lead , Mercury, Cadmium, Hexavalent Chromium, PBB and PBDE.
- Customer requirement: Sony and other companies have initiated a green procurement process which required all suppliers to provide green product before certain deadlines.
- Lead-free package is ROHS compliance
- Removal of lead (Pb) in package
- Removal of lead (Pb), antimony trioxide (Sb2O3) and brominated flame-retarding compound from encapsulants and substrates
Maximum levels allowed
- (Pb) < 1000 ppm
- Halogens (Cl, Br) < 900 ppm
- Antimony < 900 ppm
|Part No.Category||DensityI/O||Vdd / VddqSpecStatus*|
|Leadframe||Lead Finish||Removed (Pb) from solder|
|Mold compound||improve moisture sensitivity|
|Die attach epoxy||Improved adhesion and moisture resistance|
|Area Array||Die attach epoxy||Improved adhesion and moisture resistance|
|Substrate||Improve moisture sensitivity|
|Solder mask||Improved adhesion and moisture resistance|
|Mold compound||Improve moisture sensitivity|
|Solder ball||Removed (Pb) from solder ball|
|Flip Chip||Solder bumps||Removed (Pb) from solder|
- Lead plating from Sn-15Pb to Matted Sn.
- Pre-plated lead frame (PPF) with Ni/Pd/Au finish.
- Solder ball from Sn-37Pb to Sn-4.0Ag-0.5Cu or Sn-3.0Ag-0.5Cu, Sn-1.0Ag-0.5Cu
Mold compound and Substrate
- Moisture resistance for 260C reflow temp.
- Phosphorous free
- Halogens, Sb2O3 free. (Green package only)
- Reliability Test Items:
MSL Level III, 260 degree C
- Temperature Cycle:
- High Temp. Storage:
- Temp Shock Test:
- Pressure Cooker Test:
121℃/100% RH, 15 PSIG, 168 hours.
- Other Tests:
Solderability, Lead finish composition, Whisker test, etc
|Package Thickness||Volume mm3 <350||Volume mm3 350 -2000||Volume mm3 >2000|
|<1.6 mm||260 +0 °C||260 +0 °C||260 +0 °C|
|1.6 mm -2.5 mm||260 +0 °C||250 +0 °C||245 +0 °C|
|≥2.5 mm||250 +0 °C||245 +0 °C||245 +0 °C|
Figure Classification Profile
Nuvoton Lead-free and RoHS Marking Symbols
- We will print lead-free and RoHS symbol on bar code label to identification of lead-free assemblies.
- How does Nuvoton define “lead-free”, “ROHS compatible” and “Green”?
Lead-Free: Nuvoton's terms “ Lead-free” or ”Pb-free” mean semiconductor products that are compatible with current ROHS requirements for all 6 substances. Green: mean lead-free and free of Bromine (Br) and Antimony (Sb) based flame retardants.
- How can I find out if a specific device is lead-free or Green, or when it will be?
Nuvoton product content website shows the current production status, package finish, and lead-free and Green status of the individual parts.
- Will lead-free or Green devices be more expensive than Pb-based devices?
Pricing is determined by product marketing. Conversion to lead-free, in and of itself, is not planned to result in price changes.
- If a device is converted to lead-free, will Nuvoton continue to supply the Pb-based part?
Nuvoton is encouraging all customers to convert to lead-free for all product use. Please contact with our sales for the special request of leaded products.
- Will Nuvoton change the part numbers?
Yes, product part number will be changed for lead-free part.
- In what way would a lead-free or Green device influence my board’s functionalities or my application?
- Are lead-free parts compatible with a Pb-based soldering process?
Our lead-frame based lead-free products are backward compatible with leaded soldering process. However, for BGA type lead-free products, it is not backward compatible with leaded soldering process. Solder joint reliability can be a concern.
- What is being done to mitigate tin whisker growth?
We have chosen matte tin as the lead finish for all lead-free products. The package is annealed within 24 hours at 150°C for 1 hour after lead plating. This is the industry-accepted method for mitigating tin whisker growth.